Saturday, July 12, 2008

Ohole!

Let me start off by saying... last night was my turn... we came home at 10pm and I headed straight to the toilet the empty my stomach... this makes 5 people on our team that has been sick through out the week (yes, more than half... and then there are sick canadians too). On a more positive note, today I am feeling better. I decided to stay in this morning because I did not sleep at all last night and my back was aching so much that it hurt to breathe. Ibuprofen has set in and life is good. I figured it would be a great opportunity to blog and post some pics. I also posted some pics on Thursday night, but was so tired that I did not take the time to tell you, it has been a very draining (but exciting) week. And now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Ohole is Oshiwambo for love... I have been so amazed by our team. We have been working overtime this past week. Jesse, Nate, Steph, Ginger, Melissa have completed painting the hall across from the kitchen area. Jan, Matt, Grant & I have been working at the soup kitchen every morning making peanut butter & butter or jam & butter sandwiches to feed 400 for breakfast and then set up the tables & chairs under the canopies. I can not believe that the people who work there do it all by themselves EVERYDAY!! The picture to the left is the "kitchen" where the afternoon meal is prepared.

We come back to the plot for a quick lunch then head straight back to the soup kitchen for lunch service. This time has been such a great opportunity to get to know the kids. There are a group of girls that I have become quite close with. Sylvia, Victoria, Debbie, Lydia & Ester. I remember seeing them from past years, but haven't had the opportunity to really talk with them. Sylvia asked me some questions for her health class all about HIV/AIDS contraction & prevention. She was in shock to hear some of the statistics and information that I told her. I also took that opportunity to ask the girls what they want to be when they grow up. This time they didn't preface the answer with "if I grow up", but it was a similar response with "if I finish school". These girls aspire to be doctors, lawyers, soldiers, embassy workers (not MBC workers which lead to my confusion :) ). Their hopes are so much bigger then the zinc shacks that they currently reside in.

I also spent time getting to know the people that work at the soup kitchen. Kauna is the administrator of Ileni Tulikwafeni - Center for Hope & Trust. She runs a tight ship and is extremely over worked. Sigfreid is the sandwich maker extrodinare... I love the smile on his face when I tell him he's got sandwich making skills. It's been such a blessing joking around with him this past week. There are so many more workers that make this place a success, but I will not get into all of their stories right now.

Friday was such a bittersweet day... it was the last day that we went into the soup kitchen as a team. Sigfreid kept telling us this is the last time... tomorrow we have to do this all by ourselves. The girls did not want us to leave in the afternoon, but with other obligations we needed to go. Although some days were quite overwhelming for the team... the crowds of kids pining for attention... the reality of the finality will soon hit them hard, although I heard many of our youth say "I will see you next year". I am so proud of our team that has worked their hearts out more than they may ever have.

10 comments:

Molly said...

:( what a bummer that so many people have been sick! but it's good to hear about what you guys have been doing. for the first week or two i got nervous matt was left in dubai because he wasnt in any pictures of videos or anything. good to know you're actually in namibia, matt. i'll see you guys in a few days :)
ps my tattoo is looking fantastic, even though everyone thinks i drew it on with a pen. ITS NOT PEN. oh yeah and keep your eye out for naomi campbell, i hear she's in africa. but anyway, i hope all is going well and everyone has a good time in etosha!!
<3me

LeAnne said...

just wanted you to know i'm following along - no more being sick... love ta

Anonymous said...

Hi Jan !

It was good to see more pictures of you. Who's that 'GUY' with each of your arms on the other's shoulder ? ! :-)

I can believe that he is appreciative of your presence and it sounds like you and everyone else have worked hard there and God has made a huge impact. I hope they were all blessed relationally.

I hope that you are not one of those who are sick.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Love,
Carey

Anonymous said...

Germaine,

Thanks for your journalism. How you expressed what's going on has made for a way for me to see what's happening (emotionally, factually, and physically).

It it good to hear that you have been able to reconnect with individuals from the past trips !
That is cool.

Carey

Anonymous said...

John - I love the video, the photos too. I would love to know what the song selection was for the serenade! Did Darin get sick after he ate the food you guys prepared or before? Grandmom was quite pleased over the bow tie scene, as if somehow that was a genetic thought (that thought should frighten both you and Darin). Dad is enjoying driving your truck while you're gone. He may not want to return it. We have made reservations for a weekend at the beach when you return as Jenna's "bday party/gift" and your "welcome home" - Thursday night thru Sunday morning at the same hotel as our previous trip. Make the most of your last week and we'll see you probably sooner than you would like! Love, Mom (Diann)

Anonymous said...

My cheeksparger!
Aka court!
I miss you.
Hope you are having an amazing life changing experience in africa. I can't wait to hear all about it when u get home!!
Loveee you so much<3
Cheeeksparger

Anonymous said...

Dear Jan,
Amazing pictures of an amazing woman. I can't wait to get together when you get back home and to hear all about your trip.
I'm so happy for you.
With Love,
Melissa
aka Mommy in Mont Vernon

Anonymous said...

Tootie, I love the slide shows! It even looks as if you were doing some work! Nice sweatshirts! Keep up the good work, be safe and happy...LOL Mom

Anonymous said...

Germaine,
That kitchen is it? What do they do when it rains? Hope there is no more sickness. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

Melissa,
We're praying that you aren't one of the sick ones. So very proud of you -- we have been with you every day.
Have been trying to scrifice and not be a spoiled Nini -- all I have to do is think of how you are all working and how much it means to those you serve and I turn around to where I should be.
Buppa and I love you -- Nini