Monday, July 7, 2008

The Notorious Buddy & Julia

The first time I ever heard about Buddy & Julia was through another couple serving in Namibia that I have yet to meet, Todd & Erin (Maybe they are next). Todd had mentioned them in many email updates that he sends out. I first spotted them at the airport and knew right away who they were, so I went up and introduced myself. Buddy has been a missionary to Namibia since 2005 and his wife Julia is from Vyf Rand. It's been such a pleasure learning about them and how they met, what the circumstances were in their engagement and then to hear all about their four weddings... yes... four. Three a year ago and one on December 29th. I had the pleasure of sitting with them at lunch on our first day in country and it was really cool to learn about their ministry and how they got to be where they are today... at least the abridged version.

Sunday we went to church at Buddy's church and it was cool to hear him preach. Afterwards I spent some time with Julia and she told me a bit about their marriage and how the cultural differences were sometimes quite difficult. Sunday evening they joined us for dinner and a rousing game a Apples to Apples which was the special "Namibian Edition". After dinner and the game we sat and talked a little more in depth with Buddy and Julia about their lives and ministry and learned more about the culture and expectations.

The one thing I really notice is that God has really answered a prayer to bring along like-minded fun friends to encourage Mike... and that my friend... He has totally done!

5 comments:

Grammy said...

HELLO TEAM(S) NAMIBIA!!! You all may be taking a lunch break, or working hard....Germaine, love the notes you are posting - sort of an "in-depth" look at the mission. And giraffes! My absolute favorite animal - I do pray each team member has the opportunity to see them, and zebras too - I mean, if I'm asking I might as well go all the way! Work this morning and opened to Psalm 128:1-2 Blessed are ALL who fear the Lord, who walk in His ways. You will eat the fruit of our labor, blessing snad prosperity will be yours' and Psalm 125:1,2,4 Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion, which cannot be shaken but endures forever. As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the Lord surrounds His people, both now and forevermore (that would be all of you and all of His children in Africa!). Do good, O Lord, to those who are good, to those who are upright in heart." God bless you all! love, grammy duncan

EricaJ said...

Melissa -- and all of team Namibia...How are you? All your comments and responses sound like you have all adjusted just fine! 10 days left of your fabulous trip. Judging from what you have accomplished so far, you will be more than successful at cramming it all in! Missing you like crazy... thinking of you and praying for you a million times a day. Nothing to exciting to report here. We are on day 2 of Ryan's sleepover, so far so good. Pray I make it to Day3 ! :) We burned EVERYTHING in the trailer on the side of the garage last night. Nick Spooner helpedRick and I get it out there, and it went up like the 4th of July. We were attempting to send you smoke signals in Africa...did you see 'em? ha ha. I'm at Kathleen's and headed to her River with the kids... need to cool off. Oh! my medicine or your prayers? seems to be working! no pain in my sie for 2 days now. a few little ones here and there, but no no real pain. I have some energy back and not feeling as sick at all... Maybe we will finally get this out of our way!
Well, I love you and miss you and I am just going to advise you to set aside your first day home for me to hug you endlessly! then you are free! LOL :)
Love you, MEAN IT!
xoxox
Mom

Unknown said...

Hey Courtney! This is Pastor Frank. I want you to know that the church has been praying for you. I also receive constant questions from Paul David Kurts, a brother pastor and friend who knows of your trip. He, his family and church family are also praying for you.

You are being given an awesome opportunity to participate in sharing the love of Jesus to all those you serve and with whom you connect. Praise him for those moments and serve them as He leads you by the Holy Spirit. Look for his face in the face of those you serve. See their hurt and that they are sheep without a shepherd. Then show them the undying love of the Good Shepherd. Tell them that he loved them so much that he suffered and died for them that they would see the Father's love and give their lives over to them and each other.

I can't tell you enough how proud Kim and I are of you. The video of your dance was awesome to see. Those talents are given to you to serve Him. Let that always be your guiding purpose.

We love you and look forward to reading more about what is going on there.

Please also tell the rest of team Namibia of my love for them and how much I am praying for you all.

With much love,
Pastor Frank

Anonymous said...

Hi Germaine,

Thank-you for what you wrote. I am interested in hearing about Buddy and his wife Julia. I would also like to hear about the Namibian version of 'Apples to Apples'. It is also great to hear
of how Mike has been blessed !

Carey

Anonymous said...

Jan,

I still look for a 'missed call' from you on my cell phone !

Love,
Carey