Saturday, July 19, 2008

It's quiet... but not for long...

Yesterday was the first full day without the rest of the team. We used this day to rest a bit and figure out the next plan of action. After a couple of phone calls we decided that we would head to Arandis until Monday and then head up to Ondangwa to see Saara & Boniface. I am so excited to see Pearl tomorrow. Since she didn't know that I was staying an extra few days, she sent me a letter that stated coming all the way to Namibia and not coming to visit her was wicked... little does she know that "wicked" is a good thing to a New Englander. I am also excited to travel north and learn more about Saara & Boniface.

Toivo spent the day with us. It was great to spend some time with him. Currently he is looking into what he needs to do to get college scholarships. He still has two years left of school, so it is great to see his initiative. That boy is going to be a great doctor one day. In the evening we made hawaiian pizzas for dinner and then went to the coffee bar at the Multi Purpose Ministry Centre (MPMC).

I decided to play checkers with Assed. I told him that he was a checkers shark, he beat me the first 3 out of 5 games. I wish I wrote down the Afrikaans word for checkers... I was informed that the word is "like the squares on a shirt". That made me laugh. Funny how the game is called the same thing in both languages.


While I was playing checkers Nate was teaching two boys how to play chess. (fyi... my camera stopped working so my pictures are taken with a camera phone). Maybe they will start a local chess club. ;)

Not only is Mike the farmer's champion in foosball... he dominated Toivo in DDR.

This morning we took the drive out to Swakopmund. We decided to stay at the coast for a few reasons and think it was a nice decision. I am so excited to actually sleep in a bed tonight AND, AND I don't need my sleeping bag!! Nate took his first trekk up the sand dunes tonight to watch a gorgeous sunset. Then we walked the .7km from our bungalow to a great restaurant called the Tug. It is right on the ocean and actually made out of a tug boat and it's the second coolest restaurant in the world! Yes, I do admit we are feeling a bit spoiled these past couple days. Tomorrow we will spend the day with the Bandas and hopefully Pearl will be able to join us for the evening here at the coast. It will be a busy week of travelling but all in all should be a good and enlightening time. I have already been informed that we will need to teach in Ondangwa... man... wasn't expecting that... although I guess I should have. I will spend the next couple days discerning what to do.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

miss you G, and don't worry... every action you make teaches someone something (luckily your actions are all in the footsteps of the Lord!)

<3,

Kat

Grammy said...

Germaine and Nate - love what kat said about teaching someone with every action you make....and walking in the footsteps of the Lord! May you both be blessed. We just spent almost 2 hours at Chilis eating and enjoying Courtney giving us a day-by-day description of her two weeks in Namibia! So good to have her home, yet can't wait for her to go back - and she says she IS going back - praise the Lord. Team Namibia - I love you all. G&N prayers continue for safe travel and teaching and whatever else God has in store for the two of you. Love, grammy

Anonymous said...

HEY lucky nate u got to go to the coast. me and melissa are at the thompsons looking at pictures. i hope you guys have a really good rest of the trip. :) - love matt and Melissa and molly.

Molly said...

G, what is the restaurant in the number one slot?
i say dennys. good stuff. NO I LIED... DUNKS.
ps dunks is totally a restaurant.

germaine said...

thanks all!! It's so great to have you along still...

Hey Molly... I think Matt & Melissa might just agree... Joe's Beer House!!! :)

coffee sometime Kat???

Love ~G

Molly said...

haha oh yes i've heard a lot of good things about joe's beer house.

Grammy said...

G&N - greetings! It's afternoon here in "real time" - I pray the coast and sunsets are filling you with God's peace (now is that freudian or old age - I just typed "God's peach" LOL)and wonder at His majestic Hand that has given us so much beauty in nature, in the faces of those we come in contact with - hearts of love and attitudes of gratitude. Grateful for the two of you in Namibia -and for TEAM NAMIBIA - God's children each one. Blessings and prayers, grammy

Anonymous said...

G~
coffee sounds great! as soon as you get back and have the time to see me! :)

Anonymous said...

Germaine,

Well, sounds like an interesting challenge/opportunity to see how God will work this one out, speaking Ondangwa !

Looks like God is still at work with you all out there.

Carey
Phil 4:4

Anonymous said...

Some R&R is good for everybody. Glad you had a relaxing day.