Monday, July 7, 2008

Foreign Occupancy

Saturday morning Jesse and I were asked to travel just outside of Windhoek to pick up a team of Canadian Scouts since Joan & Dieter needed more combie drivers. I figured it would be a cool opportunity to begin to get to know the people that will be sharing the plot with us.

When we arrived my thoughts and expectations were far different from reality. Instead of picking up a bunch of little boys the team is full of high school and college age guys and girls. Everyone I have met so far is quite nice, aye. I prayed on the way back that we would see some cool wildlife to show them and we actually saw two heards of giraffe 10 minutes apart. I have only seen giraffe on B1 (the road from Windhoek to Okahandja) once before and that was August of 2004. They are here building toilets for 11 preschools in the area. The toilets are state of the art latrines that use no chemicals and are not affected by the hot sun. Of course there is a better way to discribe them, but that is the jist of it... so I've been told.

It's also been quite interesting to observe the scout culture and the things that they do. They are definitely a well oiled machine. We also came home to see that the land has been claimed for Canada. btw... mike earned his can opener merit badge on Saturday...

5 comments:

EricaJ said...

HI Doll! WOW! it sounds like you are having a blast! Your schedule seems sooo busy! Are you sleeping at all? (plenty of time for that when you get home, don't miss a thing! :)
We are fine, we are on day 5 of our VT vacation. Derky went home this am at 5:30 to work until wed pm. Missing him very much... I think MORE because I miss you so much too! River walk, fireworks, keating softball game...all great memories this year. (We beat the Keatings!!!!of course not without being accused of cheating! LOL)
Ryan has been very good, and is still missing you. EVERYONE has asked for you up here on the mountain and sends you their prayers and love! Katie will sleep over for a couple days with us while Derk is away, and your brother is psyched! Rick and I went off to Polaris this am, as a friend of Rick's hit a tree and broke my front end a little. No big deal, and we enjoyed the trip to look at all the new quads! Ryan has his "90" all picked out for next year!
I am so glad that you are happy with your trip and your decision to go. I am still rediculously proud of you and your team and home you all stay safe and healthy. I will write again tomorrow, promise. Sorry this one is so long... I was unable to access the computer for a couple days. Love you, MEAN IT!! xoxoxoxo
Mom, Derek and Ryan! (and all of Bell mountain!)

Unknown said...

Jan,

I love you.

Carey

Anonymous said...

Germaine,

The scouts are an interesting bunch, aren't they. Been one myself.

Glad to hear of Mike's 'progress' !

Carey

Anonymous said...

Courtney,
I have been thinking about you and the team. I am so happy to see you all are doing well. I have been keeping up with you through Claudia or shall I say the team Grammy. I am so proud of you and I know this is such a great experience for you. What an amazing person it takes to do this mission. See you when you get home.

Cassie Barber

Anonymous said...

Hi Jan,

Did the scouts treat you with 'respect' ? :-)

Have you seen God at work through your visual impairment ? Have you been able to show/express/give love to the children there, as you have wanted to ?

I know that it is unlikely for you to be able to answer all of my 'questions' while in Namibia. I'm writing them now so that I will not forget them and for you to be able to look them up later.

You know me, always FULL of questions ! :-)

Love,
Carey
ICor12