Monday, July 14, 2008

Darin's Diary pt. 5




As I type this, thirteen of my team members are waking up in Swakopmund where we stayed last night in a guest cottage one block from the ocean, and four are waking up back in Arandis where they chose to spend the night with Pearl and the Banda family - one last evening to visit before we depart.
Thursday and Friday offered us more opportunities to continue in the endeavors we had been involved with our friends in all week. Another visit to Kolin Secondary School 11th graders for our school team; more work at Talitha Kumi Primary School and work in the library for our HPOM team; more afternoon dance classes with the kids of Arandis for our dance team. For me, it was the opportunity with two of my team mates to meet one very cool man named Jimmy.

Kerry, Steph and I drove Tresford and Fabiola into Swakop for the morning to purchase supplies for Friday morning's breakfast with the elderly residents of Arandis the church would host. On the way we stopped to see Jimmy Kearney, a South African man who resides in Namibia and who is simply "out to change the world". He shared much of his story with us. It started when he was telling some kids about Jesus and one of them said, "Uncle (many of the children refer to adults as Auntie and Uncle), that is good about Jesus, but can Jesus give me some food? Can Jesus give me a blanket?" Jimmy said, "Yes!" and has been doing it ever since. From one child to a whole community of kids, he offers healthy meals to kids every day after school. He's leased a huge complex in Swakop where he houses several need-meeting ministries. Most impressive was a business he launched there where dozens of locals now work, and the product they produce (similar to a Cheese Doodle), bag and ship all over southern Africa now sustains the ministry financially and more. They in turn are assisting dozens of other grass-roots programs all over Namibia. Kerry, Steph and I saw quite clearly, this guy is the genuine article!

From there we had another stop - at an Arandis sewing factory. Anne Marie was a lady who liked to sew. She had a dream. What if we made clothing here for the rest of the world. She saw tags in clothing that said "Made in Mexico" and so forth, why not "Made in Namibia"? She gave Kerry, Steph and I a tour of her quality control area (the smaller of two production lines). All together, she has 250 employees on her payroll and is shipping her products to Woolworths around the world. This is in Arandis! When I spoke to her she said, "the people needed employment so I came up with this" as she looked around the factory. No kidding - this is changing the world!

Finally, my day ended with a meeting with Pastor Reuben - the church that had initially sent Tresford and Fabiola to Arandis three and a half years ago. I asked Pastor Reuben to share the vision of his congregation with me. As he did, I realized that he had just articulated the Vision and Core Values of Christ's Church. My friends, we have found our true kin on the other side of the world. I cannot capture my excitement at meeting and sharing with these three people. This day will go down as a highlight for me for years to come. I'm certain that our future relationship with all three will be the stuff in which people catch glimpses of God's story.

Speaking of God's story, more is being written. As I began I mentioned that four of my group elected to stay at Pearl's last night. The entire team was invited but we were concerned that our numbers would be more of a burden than a blessing on the Banda household. Still, we didn't want to say no, as that might have been a cause of hurt. Kerry, Bonnie, Sallie and Steph decided to spend the night at the Banda's home. I'm on my way to pick them up within the hour. Pray for my team. This time when we load up and aim our combies north, it will be "goodbye". I've told my team that three things will make for the best separation experience (from my experience); (1) allow yourself to grieve over the separation; (2) say good goodbyes; (3) say thank you. I'm praying this morning that my team remembers that lesson from our training. They will benefit greatly if they do.

So now we begin the long journey home. We're on our way to Etosha to go and stalk the lion population of Africa and to "make friends" with a few elephants. Roadkill (my combie's annual nickname) knows the way to Etosha without me. So, we're almost home. Pray for my team now as all 27 of us will reunite for the first time since day 2. Pray for my team as these next three days of debrief and turn-around are actually some of the most important of our trip. Pray for my leaders, as they are helping your loved ones prepare for re-entry, which can be a traumatic shock to the system. Don't worry - we've got great and experienced leaders in place, and hosts who know what they're doing. Pray that we finish strong.

Lastly, I'm not sure what communication will look like from the north. Our new internet connection ability has been amazing thus far, but it relies on cell service. So, if we go silent for a couple of days, no worries. We're just messin' with the elephants. We'll be back. Of course, if it works, I'll have more for you. Sorry I've fallen a bit behind. I'll promise to "type when I get home". Love to you all, from us all!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Darin,

That was cool for you to meet people from a church with a similar vision as to what CCA has/have pursued ! With the 'rain' story and this experience, there looks like plenty of fuel for encouragement that God has added to sustain your
pursuits ! ! !

I can see that there have been lessons learned/applied from previous trips, with the way this one is wrapping up. Sounds like there is good leadership being
provided for.

Thank-you for the prep and efforts that you have put into this one.

Carey
Mk10:45

Anonymous said...

Jan,

It sure sounds like that your are in good hands over there.

I pray that as things start wrapping up that you experience God to be close to you, as you experience the feelings that surely will come to the surface, especially if they have not yet.

Remember, He is our God in the midst of all this, in the past . . . now . . . and into the future.

With love and prayer,
Carey

Christina (Mom :) said...

Court..... Good evening little one. I am praying for good internet service so you all can stay connected for a few more days...I was reading in 2CO this morning and I saw you and the team in vs 3:16-18 "whenever anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. Now the Lord is the Spirit and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit" In each photo and video of each of you shines the clarity of your "unveiled" faces.... reflecting the glory of Christ to the world and slowly being transformed into the image you reflect - the image of Christ; the glory of God. You are making a mark on the world and changing lives; and I am so incredibly proud of you and the young woman you are becoming. I love you and can't wait to see you on Saturday!!!

Mom

Brooke and Kaylie said...

Courtney - I miss you very very much. I love you and I wish to see you very soon. I miss you and you should be home very soon. I love you - Kaylie

Hi Courtney. How are you? I am so happy you are coming home in a few days. Can't wait to see you!
Love Brooke

Anonymous said...

Dear Mandy

Things to ponder for the SS Road Kill in Etoshia,

Big teeth...bad
tusks...bad
load roaring...very bad
animal charging toward you...RUN
Leaving Etoshia alive...Priceless

Be very, very careful, remember plastic surgery is expensive, stay away from the scary animals. Mommy is praying for everyone. I can't wait to see you Friday.

I love you without end,
Mommy in Mont Vernon

Anonymous said...

Steph!
i found the address...I'm going to start to write the letter tomorrow :)
much love, kelsey

Grammy said...

HELLO TEAM NAMIBIA!!! I was out of computer range and possession for 3 days - praise God that Darin's #4 came in a half hour before I left town so I had the gorgeous pic of roses, smiling faces, and bowties to hold dear as I prayed fervently for you all this past weekend! I had a "hissi fit" with God about the sicknesses that came so late in the game and prayed fervently for health to return to all as you again gather in the original 27 group. Did not know when you all were gathering but this morning my prayer and devotion centered again on Psalm 27 (for the 27 on Team Namibia) and I prayed God's Words back to Him and as you wind down your mission, I am in tears, knowing how hard it will be to leave, to say goodbye, to reaclimate to everyday life, leaving such precious souls in such a hard life. But oh my goodness, how God is smiling - on each and every one of you, on the precious children and adults you loved on and encouraged....one heart at a time you are changing the world. Praise God for your mission this year, for past years, and for years to come. Take heart dear ones and KNOW God is God of all - USA, Namibia.....He will continue the good work you have begun, just as you were continuing what others had begun in years past. Now, your families are waiting impatiently to see you, love on you, and hear about all of your experiences. May God's blessings rain this week as you debrief, grow closer, say goodbye, and share the experiences in the States - we are anxious but God is in control. I love each of you with such a passion, I can't describe....but it has been and is an honor to pray for you all! Love and prayers, grammy duncan

Linda M said...

KERRY!!!!!
I just spoke to Kathleen O'Leary from the ROCKETTES who wanted to talk to you about being a NEW ROCKETTE!!!!
Woooooooo
Starts 10/10 rehearsals in Myrtle Beach, SC and you are in Buffalo/Cleveland until 12/28
If you can, you need to call her when you land in NYC on Friday
Cell 917-887-0230 or Office 212-485-7419 otherwise SAT but Fri would be good if possible.
They are anxious to sign.
As Bonnie would say WA HOO!
I wish you could get this post now its gonna kill me until I hear from you.

Well... You and Bonnie and everyone look to have had a rich and varied experience and I hope Etosha only adds to that. it sounds like everyone did such a great job. You know I would love to be there. Haven't heard anything about how the show went though - well I hope.
I took Erin and a couple of friends to the beach yesterday which was very nice. Hurricane Bertha somewhere by Bermuda has been turning up the surf though and a few sections were closed due to rip currents.
That is all the NEWS I have for now.

Be safe and enjoy everything. Don't bring home any critters.
GO ROADKILL!
Love
Mom

ps It is supposed to be really hot Fri and Sat when you get home.

Anonymous said...

Go Kerry! Thanks for posting that, Linda. I knew she would get in! I want to see a show!

Anonymous said...

Kerry !!

Awesome! Congratulations on being a Rockette !!
But make that contact and don't party until the contract is signed and in the drawer !

My, she is royalty now isn't she Linda Lou?

Mom & Dad Stay & Michael Stay

PS: Bonnie & Patrice you congratulate her and introduce her to Africa dancers appropriately. Well on 2nd thought they probably don't know what a Rockette is; do they ?


Patrice,
Did you go to the beach or the Safari? Did you have a choice? If so, that would be a very hard choice for you because you love the beach but you may never be near a safari again.

WE are missing you badly now! Grandma's old car (and its alternator) pooped out yesterday night . That is 4 breakdowns since you left! The truck battery, your muffler, the brakes in the Cruiser, and the alternator in Grandmas car. I am SAD because we are missing our good luck charm !!

Its a good thing your raised your own funds! Ours has been poured into vehicles.

Mom & Dad