Friday, July 18, 2008

Don't You Forget About Me

Yesterday Mike, Nate, Toivo, Richard & I dropped the team off at the airport. The 2 days leading up to that were a bit surreal and the last 24-hours of our time together were quite emotional for me. My team was made up of 9 people who didn't really know one another and quickly became family. I am not sure if you could find a group of 9 that are more different, yet if we had differences we worked them out, if we were annoyed with one another we all put it out on the table. I was reflecting on this team and compared it to the other 6 teams that I have been a part of and I really think that we were probably the closest group and no issues were left unresolved. I even thought about comparing us to the final scene in the "Breakfast Club" where everyone has a label, yet they discovered that they all possess some of the same characteristics.

The realization that I would not be travelling back with my team hit me hard. I think this is a bit of what Toivo feels like after the team leaves. Don't get me wrong, I am so excited for what is to come... but I almost feel like I let them down. I already miss Jan's laugh and additions to the Jan remix. I could really use a Matt & Melissa hug. I would love to see Steph's smile and experience her dry wit. I want to have an authentic talk with Ginger and sing some songs with Jesse. I even miss Grants 5,000 questions about what's for dinner & when it's going to be ready. I drove into town and just before I went over the river ditch I could still hear Grant say "GO FASTER!!"

But all in all... Nate & I are fine. Nate shared the movie game with Mike and they had me rolling at dinner this evening. So, yea... don't worry about us. We will keep you posted with the rest of the journey. Please pray for no more car trouble. It's been a rough trip in that regard. The car we have now is a VW Golf and since we are going to be travelling we really need this one to keep working nicely.

9 comments:

Grammy said...

Oh Germaine - know that so many of us are praying for you and Nate and the continuation of the mission in Namibia. I have been soooo blessed by the original picture of the team complete with names that you sent out, and all of your wonderful updates. And I have been praying fervently for your half of the team (since Court was on the other half:) and will continue to hold you and Nate to the Throne of Grace. I shall miss this blog when all is said and done - it's been 2 1/2 weeks of intense intercession and I love it! But in the meantime I have a couple new friends in NH which blesses me so much - and I have a facebook (which for a grammy is a real push LOL!!). So be blessed precious one, hugs to Nate and Toivo and Mike and know prayers are still out here for you all. In His Love, grammy duncan

Anonymous said...

I won't!
I'll be alone, dancing - you know it, baby :-)
Thanks for the update. I hope the car holds together for you. This trip must feel very different now with all the actors gone, but I bet the next 8 days will be fun. You have Nate! And I know the movie game never gets old.
I love and miss you sweetie. Stay safe.
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Forget, never. My love and prayers go out to you all. It was weird not getting my hug from you Germaine at the end of the trip, I missed that.
Love,
Melissa
aka Mommy in Mont Vernon

Anonymous said...

Jan,

It is good to have you back !

Love,
Carey
Phil 4:4

Anonymous said...

Germaine,

I was surprised to hear that you and Nate were staying for a while longer. That was very interesting to hear.

I have enjoyed your journalism throughout this trip.

Not to worry, you all will not be forgotten.

In prayer,
Carey
Mk 10:45

Anonymous said...

Hello guys! I already miss you too!!! I wish i was back in Namibia with you :(((( i give you all a cyber hug! - Love Matt

Grammy said...

Hello TEAM NAMIBIA - now scatterd to the winds, embraced by loved ones who so fervently prayed and so desperately missed you all (and are still missing Germaine & Nate)...2 Cor 4:7 which I shared before says But we have this treasure (the "supremely valuable message of salvation in Jesus Christ" in Jars of Clay....but while Paul was focusing on the message of Salvation, my heart is on the jars of clay as you all return from the mission field. It's so hard to come back (as so many of you know already!) to the everyday world, the stuff of our lives, and clay jars are so easily cracked. But as Paul also says (and someone sings) in vs8: "We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed but not in despair, persecuted but not abandoned, struck down, but not destroyed" My prayer for you all as you begin re-entry to the "other" mission field is Psalm 27 "The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the STRONGHOLD of my life-of whom shall I be afraid?" God with God dear ones, continue to be blessed and to be blessings to all whom you shall meet. Prayers continue.....WELCOME HOME!!! Love always, grammy duncan

Jackie said...

Hi! G! It was very weird leaving you behind the other day. Our flights were good (but longggggg). I am going to catch up on the blog this week and see what this trip was all about! Haha! Will see you in less than 2 weeks. Have fun in Arandis and up north. Please take care of the boys, be safe and keep us posted! Lots of Love, your BFFF! Get it? : )

Anonymous said...

Hey, Germaine. Don't forget my cheetah!